- Call one of your friends or family members for a favour. Tell them that you want to do something tonight and you need a babysitter. If you are a teen, tell your parents that you would like to be left alone tonight. Pay one of your siblings to do your chores, or find a way to get them to do it.
- Get your spouse to go out with their friends. You could also tell them to stay home with you, since there are no kids running around. If you're a teenager, just shut your door or go to the bathroom and lock the door. (P.S. you don’t have to be young to use the bathroom to steal some time.)
- Start doing what you should have done, but haven't had the time for. Don't get on facebook, but decorate pictures. Do something that you kept promising yourself or others that you would do.
- Do one of your hobbies. Draw, sew, knit, make jewellery or a model, get out a jigsaw, just do something that you like to do.
- Take a long, hot bath or sit in your room and just sit there thinking. Sort things out. A time like this can really help you notice somethings and it's good for you to address your problems or go back to the good times.
- Cook or order one of your favourite meals. Eat what you like and be yourself.
- Watch the news. Find out what has been going on since you've been so busy. Watch the funny version of the news so that you can have a laugh.
- Turn off the TV. Turn on some music. Dance. It doesn't matter if you can dance or not, just pretend you can and that you are better than the best. Dance until you are tired.
- Block a slot in your diary for yourself. Treat it like a meeting you cannot change, its simple self-respect.
Believe it or not I am really busy right now. You are probably thinking yeah right, he was just in London for the weekend. The truth is I was in London for a conference, I just made some time for myself while I was there. Right now I am studying hard and working towards a tight schedule of course works. A little about me, I love Christmas, always have and this year is the first time in probably 20 years that I won’t be working over Christmas and/or New Year. I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to it. But last night I finished a major piece of work and sent it to my tutor and I decided to pull out my Christmas DVDs, I love films. I sat and enjoyed the Bishop’s Wife, some of the old black and white movies are just magic. In life I try and find windows where I can do something that’s for me, not for anyone else, just me. We all need balance and it is good to make time for yourself, WITHOUT FEELING GUILTY ABOUT IT! Here are a few things that you can do, it is by no means an exhaustive list but if you make time you will find it’s easier to slot in short brief Me Distractions into your life. You work hard so reward yourself and give yourself some Me Time!